Signs You Need an Oil Change
One of the easiest ways to ensure your vehicle maintains its performance is by scheduling to have its oil and filter replaced every 3,000 – 5,000 miles. Not only will this have a positive effect on things like your vehicle’s fuel-efficiency but can also help you avoid costly repairs down the road due to neglect.
At Faulkner Mazda Trevose Service Center, our team of highly skilled technicians are committed to providing drivers throughout Trevose, Bensalem, and Philadelphia with efficient and dependable care. If you can’t remember the last time you had an oil change, here are some signs that you might be overdue.
Why Do I Need to Change My Oil?
Your engine is many ways the heart of your vehicle and motor oil serves as its lifeblood. Inside your engine exists a complex system of moving metal parts that keep your vehicle in motion. Motor oil is needed to lubricate these moving parts, keep them from overheating while removing dangerous particles that inevitably find their way into your engine.
Over time, your vehicles oil will slowly breakdown and oxidize turning into a dark sludge. If not replaced, this dirty oil can have negative effects on your vehicle including:
- Poor Fuel Efficiency
- Worn Engine Components
If ignored for too long, drivers run the risk of full engine seizure. A seized engine is often unfixable and can easily cost thousands of dollars to replace. The good news is that by simply keeping up with your vehicle’s routine maintenance schedule the most serious of these issues can usually be avoided.
5 Signs You Need an Oil Change
If it’s been so long that you can’t remember your last oil change, it’s fair to say your overdue for an appointment. A car with old oil often shows several easy-to-spot signs including:
- Poor Engine Performance. If you’re vehicle struggles climb uphill or if it takes longer than usual to reach highway speeds, it could be that your oil needs to be replaced.
- Lowered Fuel-Efficiency. If you notice on your daily commute that you’re going through a tank of gas faster than normal, it’s a sign that your engine is under increased pressure to perform.
- Dark Exhaust Fumes. One of the main jobs motor oil performs is removing dirt and other particles from your engine system. Old oil can’t properly flush these particles that subsequently get burned up and expelled through your vehicle’s exhaust.
- Loud Knocking or Grinding. Clean oil lubricates the moving metal parts in your engine to keep them from wearing out. If you hear a loud knocking sound, it could be the result of your engine throwing a connector rod. This is a serious issue that requires immediate attention to avoid further damage.
- Engine Oil Pressure Light. This might seem obvious but if your engine oil light appears on your dash it means your oil level has dropped below a safe level and needs immediate care.
Schedule an Oil Change at Faulkner Mazda Trevose Today!
If you live in Trevose, Bensalem, or Philadelphia and are due for an oil change, don’t keep putting it off. Instead, stop by or make an appointment at our state-of-the-art service center to keep your vehicle running at its best condition.